Re: Life beyond DBA....

From: extents <extents_at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Dec 2006 18:30:49 -0800

bdbafh wrote:
> On Dec 19, 7:54 pm, "extents" <exte..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > I wonder if anyone else feels the same way as I do... when you work as
> > a DBA for a quiet sometime and come to point in your career where you
> > want to explore other avenues within the technology sector. What do you
> > guys suggest? IA, BA, PM .....
>
> DR/BCP seems to me like the last stop on the way to retirement. Have
> you ever read an issue of Disaster Recovery Journal where they show
> pics from the annual conferences? It looks like an AARP convention.
>
> Storage seems to be a growing and interesting part of IT these days.
> Most DBAs have quite a head start in this area, unless their SAs only
> allowed them to look at storage as a black box.
>
> One could go back to school to become a Veterinarian.
>
> The absolute last thing that you would want to do is to become an
> assistant brewer at a brewpub. Yep, last thing - ever. I would never,
> ever think of such a thing. Nope. Particularly not one with a good
> local bike shop nearby where the group rides just happened to end at
> the brewpub that also had a nearby disc golf course.
>
> (there is such a place - check out Andersen Valley Beers - they have a
> disc golf course on site)
>
> -bdbafh

Guys

I know I would love to do but I doubt it would pay my mortgage. Working in zoo bathing elephants would be a dream!!! And of course a golf course with brewery in the walking distance would be a massive bonus.... So, Joe, from your lesson do you suggest go out and try what you think you love !!!

I too have been trying to break into the apps dba arena without much luck. Looking at the job dba job postings these days hard find anyone not asking for Apps, AS etc... Received on Tue Dec 19 2006 - 20:30:49 CST