Re: Life beyond DBA....

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 19 Dec 2006 17:38:35 -0800

extents wrote:
> I wonder if anyone else feels the same way as I do... when you work as
> a DBA for a quiet sometime and come to point in your career where you
> want to explore other avenues within the technology sector. What do you
> guys suggest? IA, BA, PM .....

DBA work quiet? :-) (I know you meant quite)

Couldn't say. I didn't particularly want to explore other avenues. I'm lucky that I have a combination of skills that complement DBA work, so I can continue to do it even though I'm officially doing something else, for companies that may not acknowledge their need of a DBA.

I burned out on technoweenieness in the late '80's, so went into another interest, and failed miserably at it. Lesson learned: do what you love, and don't be afraid to discover you are confused about what you love. You can always go back, but not necessarily at the same level. Since this type of work is evolving anyways, that doesn't matter.

That said, I've long wanted to be an Apps dba, but haven't quite been able to swing it (and I'm unwilling to take a huge pay cut).

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
CW 2010 tech versatilists: