Re: oracle service always at starting mode

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Dec 2006 06:10:00 -0800

skyloon wrote:
> hi,
> I've created database in oracle 8i, after created database, the service
> was started, after i restart the pc, the status for this service is
> always Starting, it cant start and stop. Is there any setting need to
> be done?

Isn't this 8i at version 8.1.6 by any chance? I've seen this behavior of 8.1.6.0 on Windows 2000 and later, not sure if there's any fix for it in 8.1.6.3, but worth trying. The patchset is still available on MetaLink. 8.1.7 doesn't exhibit this bevavior afaik. For now, your only option seems to be shutting the db down from svrmgrl or sqlplus before restarting or shutting down the OS to make sure the database is properly closed and dismounted. If you absolutely have to run 8i, consider upgrading to 8.1.7.4 at your earliest convenience, otherwise skip a couple of releases and go with 10g R2 (10.2).

Hth,

    Vladimir M. Zakharychev
    N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)     http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Tue Dec 19 2006 - 08:10:00 CST