Re: Key Compression vs. Selectivity

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 13:17:23 +0100

On 18.12.2006 20:18, Jonathan Lewis wrote:
> "Robert Klemme" <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com> wrote in message
> It doesn't need a grain of salt added - it already contains
> its own. If I had said "you should not move..." you would
> be quite right (and excessively polite) to say that a grain of
> salt is needed. I even had the words "perhaps" leading the
> statement.
>
> The preceding sentence says: "then perhaps you could
> rearrange the column order to maximise the compression"

You are right: when adding salt I was referring to my - distilled - version of the advice. But sometimes distilling and recombining helps me understand topics as well as formulating. I try to remember to cut down on my train of thought before hitting <enter>. :-)

Thanks again

        robert Received on Tue Dec 19 2006 - 06:17:23 CST