RMAN retention vs. netbackup retention

From: sm <mikesew_at_gmail.com>
Date: 18 Dec 2006 00:47:58 -0800

We're running RMAN backups of Oracle 9iR2 databases using libobk media management libraries to send data to a Netbackup tape library. The backups from Netbackup's perspective have a specific retention based on what I choose to back it up with:

15 days for archived redo logs
2 weeks for a daily backup
6 weeks for a weekly backup

However, RMAN simply has a single RMAN config switch called RETENTION PERIOD which i can either set to n days or n copies.. We've decided on 90-days (ie. retention period of 90 days), but this doesn't match with what Netbackup's retention policy would say. After all, RMAN's retention period would keep 90 days worth of records of archive log backups, yet only 15 days is available on tape. I may have understood it wrong but that's the problem I see in my environment. If I do a:

list backup of archivelog all

.. I'd find 90 days worth of archivelogs. Yet when I do a netbackup poll of the rman archive logs, it'll only have 15 days worth.

Does anybody else have this issue, or addressed it somehow? Received on Mon Dec 18 2006 - 02:47:58 CST