Re: Backup Strategy - Multiple schema database

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 18 Dec 2006 13:28:05 -0800

hpuxrac wrote:
> joel garry wrote:
> >
> > I don't have flashback experience, so I should probably keep my mouth
> > shut, but I have the impression that it would be singularly difficult
> > to have enough undo on a high-dml multiple client database to make
> > anything more than a trivial amount of flashback consistently (or
> > contractually) available. So I'm also curious what the largest
> > production system anyone has worked on might be, actually using
> > flashback.
>
> Here's a link to a fairly short overview ...
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/Flashback_Overview.htm
>
> As you can see, there are lots of variations and different types of
> "flashbacks". ( Sort of like my recollections of the Ann Arbor Blues
> and Jazz festivals but that's a different story ).
>
> The flashback database piece uses a new type of log. If you don't
> setup and use those logs you can't use that capability.
>
> Oracle is (kind of) using marketing terminology for the flashback phase
> but it reality there's a whole bunch of different things with the
> flashback name associated. Some use the recycle bin, some use undo,
> some use the flashback logs, etc. So when you ask "what the largest
> production system etc" ... it begs the question ... which flashback
> feature set are you referring to.

Thanks, I keep learning bits and pieces of it and then forgetting them.  Flashback Database sounds like it might work for the OP if he were to use a standby, so he could flash the standby back to get just the desired customer's data.

So which feature set? All of them, of course! :-)

(I've been in the habit for a while now of making a directory called /flash on the biggest part of the SAN I can get to, in anticipation of this stuff, but it never seems big enough. Now I'm not deleting archives because the standby is down, and it won't be up before I have to do a huge load. Standby will take days to catch up. It's always something. In this case it apparently was Veritas adminsomething hanging a shutdown -r and no one around with the ability to push the power button.)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Here comes Santa Claus!" - Mark Vitner, a senior economist at