Re: Musings on 'new' OFA standard

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 18 Dec 2006 07:28:04 -0800

EdStevens wrote:
> When I began working with 10g, I noticed a couple of new things. (Well,
> a lot of new things, but this msg is about two of them) First, the
> ORACLE_HOME directory had been pushed down a level -- where it once was
> at $ORACLE_BASE/product/<3-decimal-version> it is now (by default) at
> $ORACLE_BASE/product/<3-decimal-version>/db_1

As I understand it, this is because of how oracle is pushing the clusterware installation. With 10g you no longer ( apparently ) have a choice if you are using RAC then ( supposedly ) you have to use the 10g clusterware also. ( My parentheses are because of some anecdotal reports that some people may be running 10g RAC and not using the clusterware from oracle ).

Oracle is also promoting installing the clusterware on systems where you aren't running RAC.

It's not recommended ( and not workable ) to install the clusterware and the oracle software into the same oracle home so that's why you now get things looking like db_1 for the 1st home for the database software and crs_1 for the 1st home for the clusterware. You can then patch the clusterware and/or database software independently.

> The second thing I noticed was the creation of a directory
> $ORACLE_BASE/OracleHomes.
>
> The first is documented in an appendix in the installation manuals, but
> the second (the OracleHomes) directory) seems to be in contradiction to
> the first, and a very cursory search found not mention of it. So I'm
> trying to think through a couple of questions that come to mind:
>
> 1) Under what circumstances would one want to have homes in both
> $ORACLE_BASE/product/10.2.0/db_1 and
> $ORACLE_BASE/product/10.2.0/db_2

If you have for example 10.1 and 10.2 or 10.2.some_patchlevel and 10.2.some_other_patchset_level ... plus of course the clusterware stuff.

Maybe you have finished your testing and migrated some but not all databases on a given machine?

> 2) If the product installation creates $ORACLE_BASE/product/10.2.0/db_1
> by default, why does it also create an empty $ORACLE_BASE/OracleHomes ?

Dunno about that part. Of course you are free to override and name the oracle homes as you wish. Received on Mon Dec 18 2006 - 09:28:04 CST