Re: arrrgh Why Java over PL/SQL

From: Bruman <uv_katastrophe_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Dec 2006 06:09:38 -0800

> > Most probably because people with insufficient knowledge of Oracle
> > out-of-the-box functionality tend to make things more complex than they
> > could/should be and reinvent their wheels... Some are afraid of "vendor
> > lock-in" and significant costs associated with migration to a different
> > platform if at some point the current platform is abandoned for any
> > reason. They want to be "platform-independent", which Java seemingly
> > grants them, and they tend to consider the database (any database) just
> > a mere dumpster they throw their data in, sometimes retrieve, process
> > and throw back in using minimum subset of SQL common to all RDBMSes and
> > completely ignoring what else their particular DBMS is capable of, even
> > though good money were paid for it and by not using its capabilities
> > they are throwing away that money. There are surely other reasons as
> > well.
> >
> > However, not knowing exact requirements of the task at hand it's
> > impossible to say if your current architecture can be
> > replaced/reimplemented with PL/SQL and AQ, maybe with a bit of
> > server-side Java. Actually, if it currently works, and works
> > sufficiently well, I wouldn't strive to replace it with a solution that
> > might be better, but might as well be worse...
> >
> > Regards,
> > Vladimir M. Zakharychev
> > N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)
> > http://www.dynamicpsp.com

That sounds just like my situation. We hired consultants to build some java applications using an oracle database. They used a SQL generator and did not create a single PL/SQL program to handle any of the business rules. No triggers, stored procedures, packages, nada. It is a huge waste of money to pay for an Oracle lisence if you use this approach. Received on Mon Dec 18 2006 - 08:09:38 CST