Re: the wonders of automatic sga management

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:35:21 GMT

hpuxrac wrote:
> Here's an interesting blog topic from pythian:
>
> http://www.pythian.com/blogs/291/pitfalls-of-oracle-auto-sga-management
>
> Nothing like growing the shared pool to 5 gig to hold lots of SQL not
> using bind variables eh?
>
> Maybe we will see something in 11g so that we can set limits ... let
> shared pool vary between a min and a max?

This exercise also shows why throwing as much memory as possible to Oracle is not always a desirable solution. There is much we do not know about the system to say for sure, but on the surface, I might surmise that setting SGA_TARGET to 7.5GB on this server is setting it too high. A lower setting might achieve better results. In this case, the high setting appears to let Oracle overallocate the Shared Pool, which we know can lead to performance problems.

Just a thought...

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland