Re: Merge partitions

From: Jaap W. van Dijk <j.w.vandijk.removethis_at_hetnet.nl>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 09:12:50 GMT

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 22:57:00 GMT, Mladen Gogala <mgogala.spam-me-not_at_verizon.net> wrote:

>I am doing partition merge for a table with 160 million rows and it
>is taking forever (20 hours so far).
>Oracle version is 10.2.0.2(RAC) on Linux x86-64, the other instance is in
>restricted session mode, unavailable for all practical purposes. Does
>anyone have an idea how to speed up statement like:
>
>ALTER TABLE <tab> MERGE PARTITIONS A,B INTO PARTITION C UPDATE INDEXES?
>
>--
>http://www.mladen-gogala.com

If you are processing complete, reasonably large, partitions, it is always better to drop the indexes or set them to unusable, do your thing, and then creating or rebuilding the indexes. For bitmap indexes this is mandatory.

Jaap.

P.S. I take it you are using locally partitioned indexes. Received on Sun Dec 17 2006 - 03:12:50 CST