Re: Who took my memory away?

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: 15 Dec 2006 20:06:08 -0800

joebayeriI_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> > If you press shift-m then 'c' then "top" will likely give you a clue...
> >
> > If it's Oracle, then post back (with more information).
> >
> > --
> > Andy Hassall :: andy@andyh.co.uk :: http://www.andyh.co.uk
> > http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space :: disk and FTP usage analysis tool
>
> Sorry Andy,
>
> I do not quite understand your suggestion.
>
> shift-m will give me a "M" at the prompt, then 'c' then "top"
>
> I will get
>
> $Mctop

Learn to read and quote the entire context (maybe English is not your primary language?). You started the post with a comment about the data displayed by the top command. So Andy suggested that WHILE RUNNING top, you type "Mc" and then the top program display will change, showing you the memory consuming programs at the top of the list.

> Sorry for my ignorance. Could you explain in a little bit more detail?
> Oracle seems only take 1G.
> =====================================
> $ ipcs -mas
>
> ------ Shared Memory Segments --------
> key shmid owner perms bytes nattch
> status
> 0xde271bac 98304 ora102 640 505413632 17
>
> 0x34fbee44 262145 ora102 640 505413632 18
>

> ------ Semaphore Arrays --------
> key semid owner perms nsems
> 0xaa74abf4 491520 ora102 640 154
> 0x5097d0e0 1146881 ora102 640 154
>
> ------ Message Queues --------
> key msqid owner perms used-bytes messages
>
> Joe

It only takes 1G of memory for shared memory, but that is data only. Program code and variables also take up memory. That is why you must look at the top command.

And oracle is not the only program running, so it is not the only program consuming memory. Even the OS takes some memory.

HTH
  ed Received on Fri Dec 15 2006 - 22:06:08 CST