Re: Backup Strategy - Multiple schema database

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 15 Dec 2006 16:46:16 -0800

hpuxrac wrote:
> Noghri64 wrote:
> > We run 9i.
> > I've just been doing some reading about 10g and the Flashback
> > technology. Sounds like this could do the trick. Anybody have
> > experience with Flashback?
>
> The 10g flashback features are all over the place and include being
> able to move a whole database back to table level modifications etc.
>
> There's a whole bunch of different options and choices. Maybe they
> will be able to meet your demands but you need to clarify exactly what
> your expectations are.
>
> There's an Oracle Database 10g "High Availability" book by Hart and
> Jesse that might be worth picking up. Also a new 10g RMAN book by
> Freeman and Hart.
>
> Plus of course all the free documentation at http://tahiti.oracle.com

I don't have flashback experience, so I should probably keep my mouth shut, but I have the impression that it would be singularly difficult to have enough undo on a high-dml multiple client database to make anything more than a trivial amount of flashback consistently (or contractually) available. So I'm also curious what the largest production system anyone has worked on might be, actually using flashback.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"...the Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) law is *not* technical (if it were, the