Fetch cursor vs. TEMPORARY TABLE scrolling

From: <chukcha14_at_gmail.com>
Date: 15 Dec 2006 15:13:34 -0800

Hi all,
I need to get over 2000 records from a table and then page through them and display 20 records at a time in my application. What is better: to CREATE GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLE AS SELECT run the query once and then somehow scroll through the temp table OR declare a cursor and FETCH through the records 20 at a time?

Is there a simpler "pure" SQL approach to this problem without using a FETCH? I try not to be tied to the Oracle way of doing things. My company will be moving to service oriented architecture soon and the architecture team is pushing me not to use oracle stored procedures. There is some talk about migrating from oracle to some other db...

What are my options?

Thank you in advance Received on Fri Dec 15 2006 - 17:13:34 CST