Re: Oracle Chaining

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 14 Dec 2006 12:22:19 -0800

aprinsloo_at_sagetelecom.net wrote:
> Oracle 9i standard.
>
> Ive noticed by looking at DBA_TABLES that some tables have excessive
> CHAIN_CNT, the highest been 3266085 on a 45 million row table.
> I've set the pct_free to 35 up from 10 but the CHAIN_CNT continues to
> climb, is there anything else I can try ?
>
> Thx in advance

Altering the pctfree in an existing table only affects extents created after the pctfree was adjusted, it does not affect currently populated blocks. The only way you can affect the entire table is either with an alter table ... move tablespace ... pctfree xx; or by exporting the table, dropping it and recreating it with the desired pctfree value. The CHAIN_CNT will continue to climb because you haven't affected existing data blocks.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Thu Dec 14 2006 - 14:22:19 CST