Re: Client problem

From: EscVector <Junk_at_webthere.com>
Date: 14 Dec 2006 07:02:44 -0800

banjolicious_at_netscape.net wrote:
> Comments inline:
>
> EscVector wrote:
> > Here are some questions:
> > 1. Why do you need the 8 client? Are you connecting to any 7 or older
> > databases?
>
> The application uses PROC80
>
> > 2. The install is "messed" up. On windows?
>
> I agree. For many reasons, I'd rather fix it than wipe/reinstall the
> machine.
>
> Yes, Windows XP Pro SP2. Its worked on this box before, but I have no
> idea what has been changed.
>
> > Personal Opinion: Never use that home tool even if support tell you to
> > do so.... I never really works and you get errors like the one you are
> > seeing.
>
> Noted.
>

> > If yes to win:
> > Via cmd prompt sqlplus, not the GUI, set the PATH,ORACLE_HOME and
> > TNS_ADMIN
>
> Did this, but no change.
>
> > cmd
> > SET ORACLE_HOME=path to your home
> > SET TNS_ADMIN path to your network admin directory.
> > SET PATH=%ORACLE_HOME%\bin;%PATH%
> >
> > sqlplus /nolog
> > connect user/pass_at_tnsalias
>
> I had to install sqlplus to try this, but after I did the connect works
> fine in sqlplus. If I failed to mention it before, the Test in the
> easyconfig tool always succeeds as well. Unfortunately, the application
> still has the same errors.
>
> I think I'll wipe all traces of both oracle installs from the machine
> (or at least as much as I can find) and see if I can make any progress
> that way.
>
> Thank you for your suggestions!

Path changed or registry default home is wrong and not finding the correct oci lib path.
i.e. using 9i to call 8 or vice versa. Reinstalling the client you need to work as default should correct the path issues. Always install the one you want to work last. Otherwise, paths and registry get altered to point to the latest install by default. Setting home switches home in registry but I don't think the old tool modifies the system path order. Received on Thu Dec 14 2006 - 09:02:44 CST