Re: Oracle RAC installation "shared raw logical volume"

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:35:16 -0800
> I'm new to the Oracle RAC. I'm looking at hardware and software
> requirements for installing RAC on solaris (SPARC). Can someone
> familiar in the area please explain about the storage options for
> Oracle CRS, Database, and Recovery Files.
> One of the option specifies the storage option could be 'shared raw
> logical volume'. Does this mean we can use NFS mounted file systems?
> Another question i've is can some one give the simple storage option we
> can go for installing Oracle RAC for understanding/testing purpose with
> two database instances in the cluster.
> Thanks,
> Krishna

Your options with Solaris for an Oracle supported environment come down to either Sun's clustered file system, I wouldn't recommend it, RAW, and ASM. I may be in correct on this but I don't believe GPFS is supported on Solaris and I find no reference to it being so at

The next question is what storage is available to you and how you will connect to it. If you have access to a SAN and Fibre Channel that would be a plus. Though you can mount using copper with iSCSI. You'll only be using NFS if you have a NetApp Filer head available and can use NetApp's cluster file system.

Again, unless you have a NetApp, you will need a small RAW partition for your OCR and Voting Disk. IIRC Oracle recommends 4 mount points for the database and 2 for the Flash Recovery area. The Oracle binaries, clusterware, etc. must be installed on a file system and my recommendation would be the server's local drive.

These may help:
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington
(replace x with u to respond)