Re: Oracle RAC installation "shared raw logical volume"

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:35:16 -0800

nkrishnamurthy_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the Oracle RAC. I'm looking at hardware and software
> requirements for installing RAC on solaris (SPARC). Can someone
> familiar in the area please explain about the storage options for
> Oracle CRS, Database, and Recovery Files.
> One of the option specifies the storage option could be 'shared raw
> logical volume'. Does this mean we can use NFS mounted file systems?
>
> Another question i've is can some one give the simple storage option we
> can go for installing Oracle RAC for understanding/testing purpose with
> two database instances in the cluster.
>
> Thanks,
> Krishna

Your options with Solaris for an Oracle supported environment come down to either Sun's clustered file system, I wouldn't recommend it, RAW, and ASM. I may be in correct on this but I don't believe GPFS is supported on Solaris and I find no reference to it being so at tahiti.oracle.com.

The next question is what storage is available to you and how you will connect to it. If you have access to a SAN and Fibre Channel that would be a plus. Though you can mount using copper with iSCSI. You'll only be using NFS if you have a NetApp Filer head available and can use NetApp's cluster file system.

Again, unless you have a NetApp, you will need a small RAW partition for your OCR and Voting Disk. IIRC Oracle recommends 4 mount points for the database and 2 for the Flash Recovery area. The Oracle binaries, clusterware, etc. must be installed on a file system and my recommendation would be the server's local drive.

These may help:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/install.102/b14205/storage.htm#sthref795
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14214/chapter2.htm#sthref878
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/install.102/b14205/presolar.htm#sthref386