Re: Oracle RAC installation "shared raw logical volume"

From: herbert koelman <herbert.koelman_at_urbix.fr>
Date: 13 Dec 2006 14:45:26 GMT

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 05:23:40 -0800, nkrishnamurthy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the Oracle RAC. I'm looking at hardware and software
> requirements for installing RAC on solaris (SPARC). Can someone
> familiar in the area please explain about the storage options for
> Oracle CRS, Database, and Recovery Files.
> One of the option specifies the storage option could be 'shared raw
> logical volume'. Does this mean we can use NFS mounted file systems?
>
> Another question i've is can some one give the simple storage option we
> can go for installing Oracle RAC for understanding/testing purpose with
> two database instances in the cluster.
>
> Thanks,
> Krishna

First the NFS stuff is only available for Linux.

You have three options for Data and two for CRS

Database:

1. use ASM (the prefered one)
2. use GPFS (a cluster file system)
3. your vendor cluster file system (on aix the one that comes with HACMP).

CRS:
1. shared raw devices. Best choice is using SAN technology. Again this is the prefered way.
2. make use of a cluster file system.

Now the CRS is a layer to coordinate the cluster activity. Nothing to do with databases. In one word you can run as many instances as you want.

The database is using the CRS to coordinate the access to it's shared resources (data, networking, ...).

It's not really recommended to run RAC using different UNIX flavors. Even though it is possible.

My clusters (4 nodes) are only using Oracle and SAN storage technology.

Voila good luck ;-) Received on Wed Dec 13 2006 - 08:45:26 CST