Re: Interview questions for Oracle database administrator

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:03:55 -0600

On 2006-12-11, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Michael Austin wrote:
>
>> Given the pain to set up RAC - it is soooo much more simple to run Rdb. :)
>
> Well if you wanted to start a religious war why didn't you just say so. ;-)
>
> I find RAC easy to set up and prove it just about every month by
> teaching RAC classes during which, including PowerPoints, we build from
> scratch 4 two-node clusters in one day and, the following day, burn it
> to the ground and build 2 four-node clusters.
>
> RAC is only difficult if you consider it a self-taught seminar on
> networking, storage, operating systems, clusterware, and database tools.

        If you take it at all seriously, that's exactly what it will end up being. Just the addition of the RDBMS level clusterware and global lock/cache manager makes it a more complex machine.

        If you think otherwise then you are probably treating the subject far too superficially.

--
	Apple: because TRANS.TBL is an mp3 file. It really is!      |||
								   / | \

                http://www.usenet.com