Re: C/C++ interface

From: Andy Hassall <andy_at_andyh.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:20:18 +0000

On 11 Dec 2006 10:47:07 -0800, "enrique" <enrique.pineda_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>It has been a long time since I've written a C++ program that
>interfaces with Oracle. What are the current features available to me
>from Oracle?

 OCCI is the C++ interface to Oracle - see the "Oracle C++ Call Interface Programmer's Guide".

 There is also OCI, which is the C interface, see the "Oracle Call Interface Programmer's Guide". This is the lowest level of all the interfaces, and so exposes the most features - some of which aren't supported in OCCI, so there's some advantages to using OCI even in C++ programs. But you can get OCI handles from an OCCI object though, so you can even write hybrid code that uses the object-oriented OCCI for most of the system, but calls OCI for the more obscure features.

 There's also Pro*C and Pro*C++, but personally I'm not very keen on these (they use a precompiler step to convert custom directives to boilerplate code... but there are limitations).

--
Andy Hassall :: andy@andyh.co.uk :: http://www.andyh.co.uk
http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space :: disk and FTP usage analysis tool