Re: Interview questions for Oracle database administrator

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 11:24:11 -0800

agile_cell_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Stop cribbing Michel. Be constructive.
> Post if you think you have a better list. I am sure people would appreciate
> that.
> No one is interested in your opinion about whether the list is good or not.
> I am sure every smart person on this group can figure it out for himself.
> It is easy to criticize to someone/something.
> Last words for you. "Grow up!"
>
> Cheers,
>
> =========================================================================================
> Protect your identity with a free PrivatePhone number and voicemail. Sign up
> for Free!
> =========================================================================================
>
> "Michel Cadot" <micadot{at}altern{dot}org> wrote in message

>> <agile_cell_at_yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> U-udndDTCovhXebYnZ2dnUVZ_qisnZ2d_at_comcast.com...
>> | Came across this interesting list. Hopefully people will find it
>> | interesting.
>> |
>> | Thanks a lot,
>> |

>> =========================================================================================
>> | Protect your identity with a free PrivatePhone number and voicemail.
>> Sign up
>> | for Free!
>> |
>> =========================================================================================
>> |
>> |  1.. Differentiate between TRUNCATE and DELETE
>> |  2.. What is the maximum buffer size that can be specified using the
>> | DBMS_OUTPUT.ENABLE function?
>> |  3.. Can you use a commit statement within a database trigger?
>> |  4.. What is an UTL_FILE.What are different procedures and functions
>> | associated with it?
>> |
>> |  5.. Difference between database triggers and form triggers?
>> |  6.. What is OCI. What are its uses?
>> |  7.. What are ORACLE PRECOMPILERS?
>> |  8.. What is syntax for dropping a procedure and a function? Are these
>> | operations possible?
>> |  9.. Can a function take OUT parameters. If not why?
>> |  10.. Can the default values be assigned to actual parameters?
>> |  11.. What is difference between a formal and an actual parameter?
>> |  12.. What are different modes of parameters used in functions and
>> | procedures?
>> |  13.. Difference between procedure and function.
>> |  14.. Can cursor variables be stored in PL/SQL tables.If yes how. If not
>> | why?
>> |  15.. How do you pass cursor variables in PL/SQL?
>> |  16.. How do you open and close a cursor variable.Why it is required?
>> |  17.. What should be the return type for a cursor variable.Can we use a
>> | scalar data type as return type?
>> |  18.. What is use of a cursor variable? How it is defined?
>> |  19.. What WHERE CURRENT OF clause does in a cursor?
>> |  20.. Difference between NO DATA FOUND and %NOTFOUND
>> |  21.. What is a cursor for loop?
>> |  22.. What are cursor attributes?
>> |  23.. Difference between an implicit & an explicit cursor.
>> |  24.. What is a cursor?
> [...]

Michel's not cribbing and you are top posting. Two strikes!

The questions are indeed for developers, not DBAs, and the questions are based on a version of Oracle so old as to be currently unsupported.

I find question 25 fascinating. The answer depends on what type of cluster one if referring to. I choose a sorted hash cluster ... a type of cluster that didn't exist when these questions were written.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington