Re: MetaLink article on GLOBAL_NAMES

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 8 Dec 2006 07:12:54 -0800

EdStevens wrote:
> Oracle 10.2
>
> Doing a little reading on the fine points of GLOBAL_NAMES.
>
> We typically have the init parm DB_DOMAIN not set, and GLOBAL_NAMES =
> FALSE. I notice when we create a db_link, we get the given link name
> appended with REGRESS.RDBMS.DEV.US.ORACLE.COM, so I went looking for
> where that particular value comes from. Found MetaLink note 395896.1
>
> Now it gets really interesting -- not where the assigned domain name
> came from, but the MetaLink note itself. The subject is "What
> Determines the Suffix used when Creating a DBlink". I don't want to
> risk violating my usage agreement by quoting too heavily, but it states
> that the "goal" of the article is "to explain why does the database
> link have a suffix like REGRESS.RDBMS.DEV.US.ORACLE.COM"

I suspect that this somehow comes from regression testing efforts related to links and global_names and db_domain ... and then code that oracle developers put in.

> But then it doesn't. It just goes straight to the "Solution" section,
> explaining how to change the value after the fact. Solution? I didn't
> know there was a problem. I just wanted to find out the "why" of a bit
> of arcane information in the bowels of the database.

Perhaps the only way to get anything more than guesses would be to get a service request processed by oracle. But then you have to create a test case and claim some impact based on that value that you want explained.

> So, since the MetaLink article doesn't really "explain why does the
> database link have a suffix like REGRESS.RDBMS.DEV.US.ORACLE.COM", can
> someone else? I'm not looking for why db_links and global names might
> have a suffix. I'm curious about why Oracle would force one (and that
> value in particular) in the absence of a DBA supplied value.

See above just a guess. It's important that links and those components keep functioning among and between oracle database releases.