Re: A question on Distributed transactions in oracle 8i

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 8 Dec 2006 05:25:18 -0800

aone1504_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I am a beginner to Oracle Database administration. I have the following
> basic question. Request some one to help me on this:-
>
> What is the effect of increasing the DISTRIBUTED_TRANSACTIONS parameter
> in init.ora file in Oracle 8i.
>
> By default it is 100. Sometimes, We get the fol. error ORA-02042: too
> many distributed transactions. Will increasing this number help. Does
> it have any side effects on memory occupied or cpu utilization etc.?
>
> Thanks,
> Srini

There are several good places for people starting in Oracle Database Administration to find useful information. One of them is the oracle documentation http://tahiti.oracle.com and another one is oracle metalink ( http://www.oracle.com and click on the support link ). You need a support contract with oracle to use metalink.

Another good place is Tom Kyte's asktom site ( http://asktom.oracle.com ) which support searches.

We don't use distributed transactions at my site. As far as I know though you do need to increase that parameter if you are hitting the error that you are seeing. I think you will want to increase that parameter on both sides ( both oracle databases ).

If you are supporting more simultaneous distribution transactions ( by making a change ) that your system allows now yes sure it may cause some additional cpu and/or memory utilization changes. Received on Fri Dec 08 2006 - 07:25:18 CST