Re: Very high 'log file sync' wait time with no 'log file parallel write' wait time

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 6 Dec 2006 14:21:34 -0800

EscVector wrote:
> joel garry wrote:
> > EscVector wrote:

> > > Your point is taken regarding "cheap", but I have found that the DBA
> > > often buys into problems that they shouldn't such as having to work
> > > around backup related disk shortages. RMAN is a great tool, but even
> > > it is limited when the database grows to sufficient size. "Cheap in
> > > this instance involves high commit rate and related log sync waits
> > > debugging vs increasing undo and getting the data loaded and then
> > > possibly resizing undo after it completes. I suggest it would be
> > > cheaper or optimal to simple increase undo in this situation. A 9
> > > million row insert( not knowing the actual row size) at 200 bytes per
> > > row comes out to under 2gb. So, if there are indexes, that would bump
> > > up undo, but still, let's gestimate at 5gb more undo for this insert.
> > > Is it worth the time in this situation? Your situation/undo mileage
> > > may vary.
> >
> > My situation/undo is, for your way of doing it, undo would need to be
> > larger than the data in the database. commit=y makes much more sense,
> > you don't have to worry so much about a slight increase in data after
> > testing, or some wierdness in segment alignment, blowing the actual
> > live load. Of course, that's a judgement call on my part, I don't want
> > to give up my weekends and new years eve to babysit this stuff. Set it
> > up in cron and forget about it until normal work hours.
> >
> > I agree with your point about buying into problems people shouldn't.
> > As a contractor,
> > I don't even get buy-in that a DBA is necessary, or that computers are
> > cheaper than
> > people, or that salespeople aren't necessarily the best system
> > integration experts. Truly a strange result considering the people
> > making the decisions are budget, IS management and cost accounting
> > types, one would think they would understand the limits of _their_
> > tools.
> >
> > jg
> > --
> > @home.com is bogus.
> > http://www.rocketracingleague.com/

> I would look to minimize undo when loading. 10GB in my book is still

So isn't that what commit=Y does? (Actually, in the ETL I'm currently working
on, I have a choice between culling data with multiple exp's using QUERY, or
doing massive deletes after imp. Guess which has less undo and other impacts?)

> small. The focus here was to suggest a solution to the issue that does
> not involve skilled analysis, but rather a simple solution that
> involves disk space. I'd suggest giving management Goldratt's The Goal.

Well, when you are talking hundreds of tables, some of which are enigmas
wrapped in wheels within wheels, some skill is necessary. You can rest assured
I am minimizing complexity.

Management has its own fads, the only impact I can have is to show better
results than my competition. I make suggestions, but I'm not going to tell them how to run their business. I'm not in the business of competing
with the USC or UC graduate schools of management. Especially when my work derives from the fact that this company is more successful than other
similar companies, so it is going around buying them up and someone has to
deal with the db implications of that. It's just one more demonstration of the
fact that arbitrary tactical decisions in the IS department don't mean much
in the overall business decision process, strategic application success is
more important than database tuning details. The fact that the db-independent application depends on the scalabilty of Oracle can be our
little secret.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Intimate friendly cooperation between the management and the men"