Re: RAC, ASM, and SQL-BackTrack.....

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: 6 Dec 2006 13:37:00 -0800

JEDIDIAH wrote:
> On 2006-12-06, Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Why do you have to archive to ASM? Can't you take the raw devices in
> > use by ASM for archived redo logs and just create a volume group
> > mounted as local storage?
>
> One big reason would be RAC. All the instances need to have
> shared access to all of the relevant files for database recovery and
> crash recovery.

This is not technically true. As long as the directory structure is the same on all nodes (/my_commonly_named_archivelog_destination), a restore processed from one node will work, restoring all threads to the commonly named filesystem on the restoring/recovering node. I actually did a test case of this on RAC at one point, as we almost went in that direction before we decided to store them in ASM.

Regards,

Steve Received on Wed Dec 06 2006 - 15:37:00 CST