Re: Very high 'log file sync' wait time with no 'log file parallel write' wait time

From: EscVector <Junk_at_webthere.com>
Date: 6 Dec 2006 08:31:41 -0800

joel garry wrote:
> EscVector wrote:
> > joel garry wrote:

> > > I'm using 9i RMAN. What about it? It takes my 10G undo file (which
> > > just now is using under 700M) and two other 2G files (which are using
> > > about 650M) and puts them into 1 11G piece. I get about 70%
> > > compression when I compress the pieces to an off-SAN device.

> > > If I don't kill off leftover sessions nightly, yes. undo retention is
> > > 10 hours.
> > >
> > > jg
> > > --
> > > @home.com is bogus.
> > > "...that's not how class-action litigation is supposed to work."
> > > http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20061205/news_1b5lerach.html
> >
> > Your point is taken regarding "cheap", but I have found that the DBA
> > often buys into problems that they shouldn't such as having to work
> > around backup related disk shortages. RMAN is a great tool, but even
> > it is limited when the database grows to sufficient size. "Cheap in
> > this instance involves high commit rate and related log sync waits
> > debugging vs increasing undo and getting the data loaded and then
> > possibly resizing undo after it completes. I suggest it would be
> > cheaper or optimal to simple increase undo in this situation. A 9
> > million row insert( not knowing the actual row size) at 200 bytes per
> > row comes out to under 2gb. So, if there are indexes, that would bump
> > up undo, but still, let's gestimate at 5gb more undo for this insert.
> > Is it worth the time in this situation? Your situation/undo mileage
> > may vary.

> My situation/undo is, for your way of doing it, undo would need to be
> larger than the data in the database. commit=y makes much more sense,
> you don't have to worry so much about a slight increase in data after
> testing, or some wierdness in segment alignment, blowing the actual
> live load. Of course, that's a judgement call on my part, I don't want
> to give up my weekends and new years eve to babysit this stuff. Set it
> up in cron and forget about it until normal work hours.
>

> I agree with your point about buying into problems people shouldn't.
> As a contractor,
> I don't even get buy-in that a DBA is necessary, or that computers are
> cheaper than
> people, or that salespeople aren't necessarily the best system
> integration experts. Truly a strange result considering the people
> making the decisions are budget, IS management and cost accounting
> types, one would think they would understand the limits of _their_
> tools.
>

> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> http://www.rocketracingleague.com/

I would look to minimize undo when loading. 10GB in my book is still small. The focus here was to suggest a solution to the issue that does not involve skilled analysis, but rather a simple solution that involves disk space. I'd suggest giving management Goldratt's The Goal. Received on Wed Dec 06 2006 - 10:31:41 CST