Re: oracle installation on laptop with 232MB RAM

From: Frank R. <trek1s_at_gmail.com>
Date: 5 Dec 2006 04:51:47 -0800

> > No oracle version (from 9i upwards) will fit in 256 MB of RAM. As
> > someone has said before, you should buy more RAM.
>
> > Regardsi've installed Oracle XE and Oracle 9.2.0.1 on desktop computer (not laptop,
> is the same) with 256 MB RAM and OS Windows XP Proffesional.
> All avaliable features works, not as fast as on desktop computer IBM pentium
> 4 HT inside with 1GB RAM or IBM server with 4 GB, but it works!!
> I recommended XE because it used about 70-100 MB of RAM while database is
> open..and 9.2.0.1 used about 170 MB-250 MB. so windows use swap file larger
> than usual. Whole system works but with short of resource. Again i'm saying
> : it works.!!
> Yes buying more RAM is the best performace solution, but if you need
> database to test or migrate some data then XE would be enough.

You tried and worked, good to know, really. But provided that apart from Oracle, you will need several tools running in the box, such as IDEs and so on, 232 MB RAM system will lay down on its knees.

I think i gave that response quite automatically since i have a strong "Oracle <---> Production env" association :). My fault.

Anyway, if you can bear with a "swapping as hell, choppy" environment (i just cant :-/), just try.

regards Received on Tue Dec 05 2006 - 06:51:47 CST