Different connect strings needed for RMAN and sqlplus?

From: Andy Kent <andykent.bristol1095_at_virgin.net>
Date: 5 Dec 2006 04:28:50 -0800

Can someone explain why the connect string in the following works fine:

rman
connect catalog rman/password_at_catbox
connect target sys/password_at_targbox
shutdown immediate;
startup mount;
<backup stuff>
alter database open;
exit;
(We need to do this for those of our databases which use NOARCHIVELOG)

But this doesn't:
sqlplus sys/password_at_targbox as sysdba
shutdown immediate;
startup mount;
alter database open;

Basically in the latter case we need to be using OS authantication ("sqlplus / as sysdba") otherwise the restart gets done with an incorrect environment (I've inherited what aren't the world's greatest DBA scripts). Fair enough - but how come it works correctly when done through rman? And how come rman doesn't seem to mind if you don't specify "as sysdba"?

It's 9i on Solaris.

Thanks

Andy Received on Tue Dec 05 2006 - 06:28:50 CST