Re: Delete of child-entry locks father-table

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 19:19:17 -0800

Matthias Hoys wrote:

> "Michael Austin" <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com> wrote in message

>> HerbertMue wrote:
>>
>>> Primarily we are using Oracle 9.2.0.1.
>>> And this problem occurrence at Oracle 9i.
>>> But we are also using 8.1.7 (there I have not tested this feature so
>>> far)
>>>
>> You do realize that you are running years-old software. Oracle dropped
>> support for both of these versions years ago and will desupport ALL of 9i
>> come Jul-2007. Upgrade to something more current. It still boggles my
>> mind how you can run your business on stuff this old - I guess you and
>> your management care very little for your data.
>>
>> From Metalink:
>> Support Status
>> For details of 9.2.0 desupport dates see the Lifetime Support Policy
>> Note that Premier Support for 9.2 ends July 2007
>> 9.2.0.8 Current (terminal) 9.2 Patch Set
>>
>> --
>> Michael Austin.
>> Database Consultant
>
> True.
> I work in Belgium, and you would be amazed how many Oracle 8i instances are
> still running out there :-) Probably some 7.3.4's too ! Upgrading to recent
> versions only costs money is the general idea behind it I think.
>

> Matthias

I would be here were it not for the little thing called "the law."

The cost of not complying with Sarbanes-Oxley, FACTA, etc. is far higher than the cost of upgrading. And, at least in the US, the accounting firms have often refused to sign off on a financial statement unless proof of auditability and compliance were in verified.

Doesn't Basel II affect Belgium?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington