Re: recovery without restoring backup

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 4 Dec 2006 13:47:33 -0800

DA Morgan wrote:
> joel garry wrote:
>
> > I can't imagine getting ORA-01552 without doing some DBA type of task -
> > what are your developers doing? DDL on the fly? Truncate table with
> > too small undo?
>
> Truncate? Undo?

Tippecanoe and Tyler too! :-)

I've seen some strange things with truncate, but never really been able to pin them down, usually just attributing it to the fog of mass production updates, kind of got into the habit of drop/recreate instead. There are a few "unable to duplicate" kind of bugs listed on metalink regarding this, and perhaps some myths floating about. So I'm just wondering if the OP's developers might be seeing this, if that is what they are doing.

There's a recent asktom where the person asked why truncate partition was taking forever, turned out there was a materialized view involved, which of course needed a full table scan to update...

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
The infinite is far too limiting when it comes to God.