Re: Delete of child-entry locks father-table

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 3 Dec 2006 14:54:24 -0800

HerbertMue wrote:
> Thanks for specifying in detail.
>
> But even now I do have the following question (don't look at the lock
> table and the "other bad code"). I only want to get answered this
> principal (fundamental, basic) question.
> <Question>
> Why does a DELETE of a child(slave)-entry causes a
> lock of the father (master, parent) table???
> </Question>

Because oracle developers and the designers of the oracle architecture implemented it that way is the short answer.

I don't think that you understand though the kind of lock that obtained under various scenarios. That detail is all in the book or can be found by searching oracle documentation at http://tahiti.oracle.com or by the interactive asktom website http://asktom.oracle.com Received on Sun Dec 03 2006 - 16:54:24 CST