Re: sql server transparent gateway

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala.spam-me-not_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 07:23:23 GMT

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 14:14:07 -0800, prunoki wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Any of you using transparent gateway for microsoft sql server? I would
> be interested in your experiences. Would you recommend using it to
> migrate data from sql server to Oracle? We have an application
> developed for SQL Server which we would like to migrate to Oracle and I
> am looking for a way to get the schema and the data over to an Oracle
> 10 database. Triggers and stored procedures will be moved by hand and
> tailored individually.

Oracle has a utility called Migration Workbench which I have used the last time with SQL*Server 6.5 (a very, very long time ago) but the results were great. It created permanent temporary tables in the place of SQL Server ones, it has even rewritten exec-sql into PL/SQL and has created sequences for all identity fields. Naturally, all tables and the data in them were also moved. Of course, translating that into Oracle exposed the design that was somewhat less then optimal. Same data was stored in several tables, in columns with different names, without any mechanism to keep them in sync, there was no naming schema, some tables didn't even have the primary key, which was mighty strange for an OLTP database. I left the company before the mess was cleaned, so I don't know the end of the story. Morals of the story is that while the tool to move the MS SQL database was efficient, the application itself was a total junk. Even if that wasn't the case, each database has its own spirit, and what is acceptable for MS SQL is totally unacceptable for Oracle. One such example are connections. It is completely acceptable for MS SQL to have multiple database connections per user, it would be totally unacceptable for Oracle application to have 5 connections PER USER. Moving data, triggers and structures is one thing, moving an application from MS SQL to Oracle is something else. Usually, application should be thrown away and re-written. I want no stinkin' VB code in my shop, no sir!

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com