Re: sysdate

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 2 Dec 2006 15:18:42 -0800

Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> hpuxrac wrote:
> > 3) Consider buying and reading Tom Kyte's book. They are a big help to
> > anyone but especially helpful to big learners.
> >

> Is there a particular book by Kyte that you recommend? He seems to have
> written a lot of them!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jonathan

He is right now in the middle of a 3 book "refresh" update cycle. The first book of that cycle "Effective Oracle Database Architecture" was released last September.

I would start with that book. ( The other 2 are not yet available ).

The next 2 books in the series ( as I understand it ) will be more developer oriented and are going to be somewhat of updated/refreshed content much of the prinicple ideas coming from 2 earlier books "Effective Oracle by Design" and "Expert One-on-One Oracle".

Both of those earlier books are still good but just getting a little dated with all the improvements oracle has delivered in recent releases.

Don't overlook how useable his site is http://asktom.oracle.com

Chances are that he has an answer in that site to most any question that you might have. But that site is not organized nor intended to be reference material for continuous reading ... that's what the books deliver.

Don't overlook Cary Millsap's "Optimizing Oracle Performance". Received on Sat Dec 02 2006 - 17:18:42 CST