Re: Help Dumping a Block

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:23:38 GMT

DA Morgan wrote:
> Does anyone know how to dump an Oracle block as just the binary
> data without formatting or commenting as part of the process?
>
> ALTER SYSTEM DUMP DATAFILE 6 BLOCK 21229;
>
> Is not what I need.
>
> Thanks.

If you're looking for just the binary data, then why not make a copy of the file and open it with a binary hex editor? I use xvi for this purpose:

http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm

This will get you the binary data of the file...you will just need to figure out the starting address of db block in question...based on the block size of course.

Cheers!
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net