Re: Performance Issue

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 08:53:10 -0800

Jitendra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have one oracle database,which is used by 50 users at a time.
> Server mode is DEDICATED and available virtual memory is 5129MB.
>
> Please suggest me the parameter values as the current database is slow.
> Parameters like
>
> 1)Shared Pool
> 2)Buffer Cache
> 3)Large Pool
> 4)Java Pool
> 5)Aggregate PGA Target etc.
>

> Thanks and Regards,
> Jitendra

Not the way tuning is done. Your problem, for example, might well relate to indexing strategy (or lack thereof) or any number of other factors.

Buy and read three books:

1. Tom Kyte's Effective Oracle by Design ISBN 0-07-223065-7
2. Jonathan Lewis' Cost-Based Oracle Fundamentals ISBN 1-59059-636-6
3. Cary Milsap's Optimizing Oracle Performance ISBN 0-596-00527-x

These are the minimum required knowledge set for tuning.

Alternatively find someone else who has the appropriate knowledge help you.

If you want help from this group my recommendation would be to start with posting the DML statements that are slowest along with their corresponding EXPLAIN PLANs generated with the verbose version of the DBMS_XPLAN built-in package.

HTH

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington