Re: OracleXE is garbage

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 30 Nov 2006 05:50:31 -0800

reqfoo wrote:
> 1.5GB, default installation parameters.
>
> Funny thing, I went Oracle's site to get the minimum requirements for
> this post and clicked on 'FAQ' on the Oracle XE page. It was a 2 page
> PDF. Why make it efficient by using standard HTML when we already have
> a 2 page PDF lying around. Let the client's machine open up Adobe
> Reader; who cares about the client's resources anyway?
>
> Anyway, I'm sure the minimum requirements are less than 1.5GB as many
> of the developers here are running it with only 1GB.
>
> Matthias Hoys wrote:
> > "reqfoo" <reqfoo_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Once upon a time I used PostgreSQL and was happy. Then one day my
> > > employer told me that we were all to use OracleXE while working on the
> > > big new project. Since then I've come to hate Oracle.
> > >
> > > Why is the installation so huge?
> > >
> > > Why does my computer crawl on startup if the DB is configured as a
> > > service that automatically starts up?
> > >
> > > Why does the web-based UI for the DB take a year to come up when I
> > > haven't accessed it in awhile?
> > >
> > > Why does the web-based UI give me an "invalid statement" error for its
> > > own dynamically generated query?
> > >
> > > I've also used several other Oracle products in the last couple years
> > > and every single experience has contributed to the same verdict:
> > >
> > > Oracle software might perform well in *very* specific situations, but
> > > in general it is bloated garbage.
> > >
> > > Thoughts?
> > >

> > Does your PC meet the minimum system requirements ? Sounds a lot like you're
> > swapping and that is deadly for the performance of any application.
> >
> > Matthias

You're really grasping at straws on this one.

If your system is so constrained that opening a pdf document is a concern, then you have other issues. Most people *prefer* being able to get documentation in pdf form, so that if they choose to print it, they know what they will get. Having the browser print an html page can often produce *interesting* results. Received on Thu Nov 30 2006 - 07:50:31 CST