Standby database for standard edition 10GR2 on windows

From: Scott <nospam_at_nomail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:02:52 -0500

All,

I have been asked to look at the feasability of creating a standby database using standard edition instead of enterprise edition. I would like to know if there are other people doing this and what do you feel are the limitation of this setup. I realize that standard edition does not come with data guard however, creating a standby on std ed. is still supported as indicated by note 305360.1.

So far I have created the standby and have applied archive logs to it, opened it for read only etc. All the regular stuff you get with dataguard minus the higher level of data protection and log shipping services. Not too bad given that you don't need to shell out the extra bucks for EE. However, when trying to do a graceful switchover and switchback I seem to be stuck as the command alter database activate standby database does an implict resetlogs so I cannot switch back. As a possible workaround I came across this http://www.pafumi.net/Standby_Switchover_and_Switchback.pdf but wondered if there were new workarounds for 10GR2 that people are using.

I tried using the commands

ALTER DATABASE PREPARE TO SWITCHOVER TO PHYSICAL STANDBY; ALTER DATABASE COMMIT TO SWITCHOVER TO PHYSICAL STANDBY; with no luck as i believe they require the log dest parameters only available in EE whereas I need to use log_archive_dest.

The env I am working on is 10GR2 on a windows platform.

Thanks
Scott Received on Wed Nov 29 2006 - 20:02:52 CST