Re: On AIX, blocksize an DataWarehouses

From: <mfullerton_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 Nov 2006 14:33:50 -0800

Frank,

To address the filesystemio_options question, the best results we have seen on AIX 5L and 9i are jfs2 using CIO. The setall basically allows for the use of CIO:
metalink article: Note:272520.1
Configure FILESYSTEMIO_OPTIONS initialization parameter to configure a database to use either direct I/O or concurrent I/O when accessing datafiles, depending on the file system that is used to store them.

When you specify the value SETALL for this parameter: .Datafiles on a JFS file system are accessed using direct I/O .Datafiles on a JFS2 file system are accessed using concurrent I/O

> Interesting. No change on JFS2 blocksize (since it is only 4k)?
> Blocksize alignment between AIX and Oracle (32k - 32k) seems to be a
> good performance improvement (even recommended in some docs) in data
> warehouses.

No, I have never seen a recommendation for that. Can you point me to one? I would love to try to test that, I can see in theory how it may help.

> Max parallel servers is up to 256, seems too high then. I'll set it to
> 128 an see what happens.

How did that go? "IF" I use parallel options I generally let oracle decide how to divide up the parallel processes. I use these parameters and then just set the DOP on tables as needed. The parallel_adaptive_multi_user parameter allows oracle to back off parallelism if the box is being over taxed.

PARALLEL_AUTOMATIC_TUNING = TRUE
PARALLEL_ADAPTIVE_MULTI_USER =TRUE.
> Maybe a wide scope question, but where is the frontier between a bad
> system tunning and slow hardware. I mean, when should I say " the db is
> well tunned, any performance problem is due to the IO subsystem (fibre,
> SAN, SCSI or whatever)"?

Great question, here is my opinion:
Look at your IO response time for full table scans: select
(time_waited_micro/1000) / total_waits "AvgWait - ms" from v$system_event where event like '%scattered%';

5-10ms is good for SAN, if it is much higher you may want to look for hot files or look into your layout or how your san is configured.

Look at your CPU and memory utilization, are you using more than 70% CPU? are you swapping? Ask your Unix admin if the IO chanels are saturated or doing fine.

If you are seeing signs that the IO is providing a big enough bottleneck for concern, you have to approach it from the hardware side and look at the DB. Find your big FTS queries and see if they need tuning. See if there are some very hot files where you can spread out the load. Should your SGA be larger to hold more buffers? Our datawarehouse uses about 20 gigs of buffer cache.

Mike Fullerton