Re: PGA & Open_Cursors

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 29 Nov 2006 09:32:15 -0800

qAnand wrote:
> Hi All,
> I was going throught the Oracle Concepts guide where in it was
> described that every server process has its own PGA and PGA consists of
> Private SQL area (persistent & runtime area). The persistent area of
> PGA deals with cursors (implicit & explicit).
>
> My question is, whenever a cursors are opened in a particular session,
> does it take space in the same persistent area of Private SQL area, or
> new areas are alloted for each cursor?
> If this is true, can we have more than one Private SQL area for a
> session based on Open_Cursors parameter?

Oracle supports sessions having multiple open cursors each open cursor uses some part of the PGA. Each new open cursor is handled by oracle code. Since multiple simultaneous open cursors are supported (even mandatory ) each cursor uses it's own small chunk of memory ... whether oracle has pre-allocated a big chunk then keeps parceling out parts of that until it needs a new big chunk ... probably you need someone from oracle internals to answer that question. Received on Wed Nov 29 2006 - 11:32:15 CST