Re: Very high 'log file sync' wait time with no 'log file parallel write' wait time

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 08:46:58 -0000

I haven't followed this closely, but if you're seeing lots of waits for log file sync, but no waits for log file writes, then

  1. There used to be a bug in 9i which did not report the timing of log file writes properly - it's possible that this has slipped into your version of 10g.

OR

b) somehow your log file writer is using a variant of asynchronous I/O, so the log writer is dispatching a write request and sending an ACK to the front-end without
having to wait for the write to complete.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com