Conversion from 8i Manual Undo Management to 10g Automatic Undo Management

From: <bfogarty_at_gaports.com>
Date: 28 Nov 2006 12:59:40 -0800

I am the DBA responsible for upgrading several databases from Oracle Server 8i to 10g on a UNIX AIX machine. In 8i the databases use the old configuration of a rollback segment tablespace and multiple user defined private rollback segments.

I have read the 10g literature on automatic undo management and want to migrate from 8i rollback segments to 10g undo management. I do not understand the sequence of steps to accomplish the change.

I plan to do a manual upgrade. My 8i rollback segment tablespace (RBS) is 1.5 GB. I have eight private rollback segments (RBS1, ...., RBS8) each of which is optimally 150 MB.

I know I will eventually set init.ora parameter undo_management=auto and execute a "CREATE UNDO TABLESPACE undotbs1......." command. I understand function DBMS_UNDO_ADV.RBU_MIGRATION is a 10g tool that will help me size the new tablespace.

Should I do my manual 8i to 10g upgrade and temporarily retain the old rollback segments, then create the new undo tablespace, drop the old rollback segments and tablespace, and cycle the database with undo_management=auto
or ..... do I somehow make the change in the middle of the upgrade?

Has anyone done this 8i to 10g undo change before? If so, what steps did you take?

Does anyone know of an Oracle document that describes the steps to take?

Thank you,
Bill Fogarty
DBA, Georgia Ports Authority Received on Tue Nov 28 2006 - 14:59:40 CST