Re: Proving or Debunking the need for rebuilding

From: <hasta_l3_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 Nov 2006 10:14:23 -0800

DA Morgan wrote :

> hasta_l3_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> > DA Morgan wrote :

> >> Depends!
> >
> > Would you elaborate, Doug ?
> > I am not much familiar with this area.
> >
> > At commit time, blocks will be cleaned up if they are
> > still in the cache, right ?
> >
> > Off hand, I cannot think why (many) dirty blocks would
> > be written on disk :
> >
> > a) We have pretty big redo logs.
> > b) Checkpointing happens with low frequency
> > c) With high probability, we dont do huge selects
> > or table scans that would flush blocks out of the
> > cache.
> > d) The structure of an index does not massively
> > change when - say - ten or twenty rows are deleted,
> > right ? Or does it ?
> >
> > Anything I missed ?
> >
> > --- Raoul

> Tom Kyte's explanation is infinitely better than anything I would
> attempt:

> http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:275215756923

Thanks for the pointer, Daniel..

However, after having read this thread, and after having re-read the section on block cleanout in Expert Oracle, I'm still confused on what you had in mind with "Depends" :-(

AFAICS, commit cleanout should take care of all modified blocks... Received on Tue Nov 28 2006 - 12:14:23 CST