Re: Export/Import oracle 10g db to another machine

From: Godzilla <godzillaismad_at_gmail.com>
Date: 27 Nov 2006 20:53:35 -0800

DA Morgan wrote:
> Godzilla wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > That's just one pointer for database copying I've found over the
> > internet...
> >
> > http://oracle.ittoolbox.com/groups/technical-functional/oracle-db-l/double-migration-90998#
> >

> > I've come across RMAN but, correct me if i'm wrong, that requires the
> > db to be in archivelog mode. I have limited experience with Oracle in a
> > very short timeframe, and am curious of whether there's an easy way...
> >
> > Would you be able to point me to an area where I can learn more about
> > RMAN?
> >
> > Thanks again.
> >

> > DA Morgan wrote:

> >> Perhaps because you are using the wrong tool. Why would you choose
> >> EXPORT/IMPORT if the point is to clone the database? And why on earth
> >> ORADIM? What pointed you in that direction?
> >>
> >> Oracle is Oracle. It is not a generic clone of some other product
> >> and it has capabilities not shared by the others therefore it is
> >> different. I'd suggest you look at RMAN for starters. And if you
> >> provide additional information we can no doubt help you with anything
> >> RMAN can't do that you require.
> >> --
> >> Daniel A. Morgan
> >> University of Washington
> >> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> >> (replace x with u to respond)
> >> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
> >> www.psoug.org

> Please don't top post or you will be ignored. Scroll to the bottom
> to reply.
>

> If you have that little experience with Oracle you should not be
> doing this except for practice. Putting Oracle into archive log
> mode is hardly rocket science.
>

> SQL> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE;
> SQL> STARTUP MOUNT EXCLUSIVE;
> SQL> ALTER DATABASE ARCHIVELOG;
> SQL> ALTER DATABASE OPEN;
>

> Where did you see that doing so was necessary for cloning?
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
> www.psoug.org

Thanks Dan,

I learned this when I tried to clone the database via the Oracle universal web-based GUI. It stated that the db needs to be in archivelog mode... I had all sort of problem with the syntax of logging in as sysdba and hence I gave up on the rman and cloning method... but now can you explain whether turning the db into archivelog mode will increase space usage considerably?

Can you also provide me a reference to the manual of how to do backup and restore via the rman method? Received on Mon Nov 27 2006 - 22:53:35 CST