Re: Export/Import oracle 10g db to another machine

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:38:53 -0800

Godzilla wrote:
> Hello,
>
> That's just one pointer for database copying I've found over the
> internet...
>
> http://oracle.ittoolbox.com/groups/technical-functional/oracle-db-l/double-migration-90998#
>

> I've come across RMAN but, correct me if i'm wrong, that requires the
> db to be in archivelog mode. I have limited experience with Oracle in a
> very short timeframe, and am curious of whether there's an easy way...
>
> Would you be able to point me to an area where I can learn more about
> RMAN?
>
> Thanks again.
>

> DA Morgan wrote:

>> Godzilla wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have been doing some research these few days and have kind of find
>>> what I need to do, that is export and import oracle db to another
>>> machine by using exp/imp/oradim functions. But using the oradim
>>> function to create the service, you do not have the web interface that
>>> is generated when using Database Configuration Assistant to create the
>>> database.
>>>
>>> Having been working with MySQL, MSSQL, Sybase and to lesser extend DB2,
>>> you can easily transport the database over to another machine, with
>>> minimal configuration required. What I have done, by copying the other
>>> db export/import technique, is create the oracle db instance using
>>> Database Configuration Assistant, then shut down the service via
>>> services.msc, copy over all the log files, control files and data files
>>> to the new instance data directory
>>> (C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\oradata\<instance>\) on the new machine.
>>> Then, restart the service and woala, the transport worked! Doing this
>>> you also get the web interface too.
>>>
>>> Has anyone done what I just described above? Is this method safe? I
>>> cannot find any tips and tricks anywhere which recommends you to do
>>> what I did in Oracle.
>>>
>>> Also, why is everything in Oracle seems to be 10x harder?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>> Perhaps because you are using the wrong tool. Why would you choose
>> EXPORT/IMPORT if the point is to clone the database? And why on earth
>> ORADIM? What pointed you in that direction?
>>
>> Oracle is Oracle. It is not a generic clone of some other product
>> and it has capabilities not shared by the others therefore it is
>> different. I'd suggest you look at RMAN for starters. And if you
>> provide additional information we can no doubt help you with anything
>> RMAN can't do that you require.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>> (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
>> www.psoug.org

Please don't top post or you will be ignored. Scroll to the bottom to reply.

If you have that little experience with Oracle you should not be doing this except for practice. Putting Oracle into archive log mode is hardly rocket science.

SQL> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE;
SQL> STARTUP MOUNT EXCLUSIVE;
SQL> ALTER DATABASE ARCHIVELOG;
SQL> ALTER DATABASE OPEN;

Where did you see that doing so was necessary for cloning?