Re: Export/Import oracle 10g db to another machine

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 27 Nov 2006 16:44:18 -0800

On Nov 27, 7:22 pm, "Godzilla" <godzillais..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been doing some research these few days and have kind of find
> what I need to do, that is export and import oracle db to another
> machine by using exp/imp/oradim functions. But using the oradim
> function to create the service, you do not have the web interface that
> is generated when using Database Configuration Assistant to create the
> database.
>
> Having been working with MySQL, MSSQL, Sybase and to lesser extend DB2,
> you can easily transport the database over to another machine, with
> minimal configuration required. What I have done, by copying the other
> db export/import technique, is create the oracle db instance using
> Database Configuration Assistant, then shut down the service via
> services.msc, copy over all the log files, control files and data files
> to the new instance data directory
> (C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\oradata\<instance>\) on the new machine.
> Then, restart the service and woala, the transport worked! Doing this
> you also get the web interface too.
>
> Has anyone done what I just described above? Is this method safe? I
> cannot find any tips and tricks anywhere which recommends you to do
> what I did in Oracle.
>
> Also, why is everything in Oracle seems to be 10x harder?
>
> Thank you.

To move Oracle from one machine to another you have several options:

For totally compatiable hardware and OS machines it is actually possible to copy the database files and start on another machine.

Rman can restore a database to a new compatiable platform

For non-compatiable hardware you can use rman to convert the files from one platform to another

You can install Oracle and build a database then use imp or impdp to load an exp or expdp file respectively.

Other options exist.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Nov 27 2006 - 18:44:18 CST