Re: Block Header Size Confusion

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:20:23 -0000

"Dereck L. Dietz" <dietzdl_at_ameritech.net> wrote in message news:qa2ah.254$Py2.90_at_newssvr27.news.prodigy.net...
> In reading a study guide for Oracle 9i it described the data block
> headers.
> One item it mentions is the Row Directory which it states occupies (4 *
> the
> number of rows) bytes.
>
> The other book I used to get the formula I have been using to
> "guestimate"
> table/index sizing was the Oracle 8 DBA Manual and it just had the block
> overhead as 90 for tables and 161 for indexes.
>
> My question is probably a simple one and I apologize if it is but when it
> states (4 * the number of rows) am I correct in thinking it is referring
> the number of rows in the data BLOCK and not the entire table?
>
> Another question is, isn't this a Catch-22 situation? It seems that in
> order to know what the block overhead is you need to know how many rows
> will
> be in the block; but in order to know how many rows will fit in the
> block
> you need to know the free bytes in the block (block size minus the block
> overhead).
>
> Thanks.

It's open to argument whether you should label the row directory as part of the block header - and it looks as if your second source has not done so.

The row directory is 2 bytes per row.

For tables, there is also a 3-byte per row overhead in-line with the row; and for indexes where is a 2-byte row overhead in-line with the row. Possibly somewhere in the row-overheads your first source has managed to invent the 4 bytes for the row-directory.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com