Re: sipping lightly or drinking deeply from the ASM koolaid?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 11:50:02 -0800

Steve Howard wrote:
> hpuxrac wrote:

>> Some of the people in this universe actually want to do their own
>> thinking and not blindly follow the approach of the week from various
>> vendors.
>>
>> Here's a guy that makes several good points.  Wonder why oracle is not
>> using ASM in their TPC and TPH benchmarks? Hmmm.  How about veritas and
>> where does it figure into the storage universe related to oracle.
>>
>> http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/
>>
>> Do we actually want choice in what we implement or one stop shopping?
>> Not as if we ever have any problems getting quality and timely support
>> from any of our big vendors.

> IIRC, he is the chief architect for polyserve, which makes...HA NAS
> filesystem software/utilities. I know some people run ASM on NAS, but
> it always seemed a bit kludgy to me. From what I have read by him
> (other whitepapers in addition to the link you provided), he is a
> really smart guy, it just looks like he may not be completely unbiased.
>
> We have a 2.5TB non RAC data warehouse on ASM (which lives on an EMC
> DMx), and we get 6-7ms single block reads with no
> performance/availability issues at all. I understand the need to
> diversify your vendors, but I also see value in the firm that provides
> the RDBMS software also providing the filesystem to which the RDBMS I/O
> requests will be made.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve

I'll vote for a single-source of support and a lack of vendor finger-pointing every time.

Those worried about putting all of their eggs in one basket remind me of those who want to write generic SQL and use generic database features so they don't have vendor lock-in. The result is always mediocrity.

You can't learn to swim when you keep one foot on the beach.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington