Re: sipping lightly or drinking deeply from the ASM koolaid?

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Nov 2006 11:14:23 -0800

hpuxrac wrote:
> Some of the people in this universe actually want to do their own
> thinking and not blindly follow the approach of the week from various
> vendors.
>
> Here's a guy that makes several good points. Wonder why oracle is not
> using ASM in their TPC and TPH benchmarks? Hmmm. How about veritas and
> where does it figure into the storage universe related to oracle.
>
> http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/
>
> Do we actually want choice in what we implement or one stop shopping?
> Not as if we ever have any problems getting quality and timely support
> from any of our big vendors.

IIRC, he is the chief architect for polyserve, which makes...HA NAS filesystem software/utilities. I know some people run ASM on NAS, but it always seemed a bit kludgy to me. From what I have read by him (other whitepapers in addition to the link you provided), he is a really smart guy, it just looks like he may not be completely unbiased.

We have a 2.5TB non RAC data warehouse on ASM (which lives on an EMC DMx), and we get 6-7ms single block reads with no performance/availability issues at all. I understand the need to diversify your vendors, but I also see value in the firm that provides the RDBMS software also providing the filesystem to which the RDBMS I/O requests will be made.

Regards,

Steve Received on Sun Nov 26 2006 - 13:14:23 CST