Re: TNS could not resolve the connect identifier

From: <antonyliu2002_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Nov 2006 22:06:43 -0800

hpuxrac wrote:
> antonyliu2002_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> > Thanks a lot to Charles, Hank and hpuxrac. The problem is with the
> > database driver. Since
>
> Who supports and configures the database drivers on your production web
> server? If there's an individual or a team that supports them I would
> think that you should be working with them.
>
> If you are the lucky person to be doing that support then I think it's
> time to work on some documentation.
>
> You appear to need some type of established procedure for testing out
> and verifying applications and technical architecture related changes
> that are made on the web servers?
>

> > 1. The web application works fine with the VWD 2005 built-in web
> > server through MSDAORA.dll database provider on the development
> > machine. The provider name is System.Data.OleDb. This probably
> > suggests that inability to connect to the Database through SqlPlus is
> > not relevant to this issue, which I had indicated.
>
> Dunno what a VWD 2005 is. The name of the provider is
> "system.whatever?".
>
> I would think a better scheme for a provider name would give some kind
> of indication as to what database it is connecting to.
>
> Isn't OleDb kind of old? It may not work well against newer versions
> of oracle.
>

> > 2. The web application does not work on the production web server.
>
> Ok.
>

> > 3. Other web applications on the same production web server works fine
> > with the same database, but through ODBC, and the provider name is
> > System.Data.Odbc.
>
> Again I don't think I like exactly "System.whatever".
>
> It sounds like you have multiple different ways of developing web
> applications using multiple different kinds of database connections.
>
> Maybe this should be documented and unified in some manner?
>

> > And I verified today that using ODBC on the development machine will
> > crash the web application on the VWD 2005 built-in web server.
> >
> > So, I modify the connectionString to use ODBC database provider if I
> > wanna check out this web application through the production web server,
> > and change it back to OleDb database provider on the development
> > machine with the VWD 2005 built-in web server.
>
> To me it sounds like most of the things you are describing are related
> to microsoft software levels and different implications various
> releases have connecting to oracle. Some people here may be able to
> help you out but there are probably better places ( including microsoft
> support perhaps ? ) to get help.

Thanks a lot. Yes, this situation seems sorta convoluted. But I figure it must be a database driver mismatch, such that

  1. The built-in web server of Visual Web Developer 2005 (VWD) is happy with the OleDb provider MSDAORA.dll, and grouchy about the Odbc driver.
  2. It is exactly the other way round with the production web server, which is happy with the Odbc driver, but pretty much pissed off by the OleDb driver.

I will see how long it'll take me to make both web servers happy with the same database connection provider.

I don't have to use the VWD built-in web server anyway, so I can always use the ODBC driver on the production web server.

BTW, I haven't delved into the various kinds of drivers for Oracle. So, I ain't sure if OLE is no longer fashionable.

About your last question, yes, I've noticed that there are ODBC and ODBCNET newsgroups, which might be good places to go for me. Received on Sun Nov 26 2006 - 00:06:43 CST