Re: TNS could not resolve the connect identifier

From: <antonyliu2002_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Nov 2006 17:05:34 -0800

Charles Hooper wrote:

> SQLPLus cannot connect to the 10g database either, and you are
> receiving unable to resolve TNS name errors? Did you install the
> Oracle InstantClient, or did you perform a Custom install of the Oracle
> client (note that this is terminology that appears in the 10g R2
> client, it may be slightly different in the 10g R1 client)? I suggest
> that you perform a custom install and make certain that you specify
> "Oracle Objects for OLE" and "Oracle ODBC Driver". Once the correct
> drivers are installed, verify that the TNSNAMES.ORA file is correctly
> configured for the database connection. On my system, this file is
> found in the folder:
> C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\NETWORK\ADMIN

I did install the Oracle ODAC for .NET on the production web server some time ago. I don't think I did a custom install. So you are suggesting that I reinstall it and customize it? I can try it.

But, the connectionString in web.config suggests that the provider I used with Visual Web Developer (VWD) 2005 is MSDAORA, which is a M$ product. I'm not sure if I am getting the point, but as I said, this DB provider works fine in VWD 2005. Pls note that VWD 2005 has a built-in web server, and the web application works great with this built-in web server. Received on Thu Nov 23 2006 - 19:05:34 CST