Re: How to import a text file

From: Tomo <tkokoska_at_varteks.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 13:31:08 -0800

<printdude1968_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1164281328.015923.197950_at_h54g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>I am migrating from Oracle 10gXE to Oracle 10g on RHEL4.
> I have exported my tables from the XE installation and created text
> files out of the data.

if you exported tables using export utility then you should use imort utilty to import data
On Windows OS run command prompt and explore commands "exp help = y" or "imp help = y"

otherwise you might use external tables or use clasical AScii import with ctr file (SQLLoader). First you have to create contol file, eg.

LOAD DATA
INFILE file.ext
INTO TABLE table_name
(column_name POSITION (01:02) INTEGER EXTERNAL, ....etc etc
then in command prompt type sqlldr user/pass_at_database control = ctrl.ctl